Photobucket

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Do you know your constitution?

To help me and little Cru in a couple years, to know the constitution I started making little amateur videos. Their not exactly brilliant, but their short and sweet and give a quick rundown of our rights. I will periodically shuffle them in with my other posts. I decided to start with the 16th amendment because I see its effects currently in two aspects of society. The first can be discovered in 1 Kings chapter 12. In this chapter, the people of Israel petition their newly established king, Rehoboam to relieve them of the "yoke" his father(Solomon) had placed on them. The "yoke" is explained in the chapter as being the cost to maintain the political establishment, a levy on ones production; it was an income tax. 

 "The yoke symbolizes the beast of burden, who, of course, has no right of property. When the human is similarly deprived of what he has produced-which is the essence of income taxation-he is indeed degraded to the status of an ox. The Israelite, who maintained that he was made in the image of God, sensed the indignity; he wanted none of the "yoke."  

I believe the 16th amendment puts us in the same situation as Israel and bills currently being passed through the house will further denigrate the American people to the "status of an ox." 

Secondly, I find it interesting that the American people today so easily jump on the slogan bandwagon, just like those in 1913 who fed into the popular "soak the rich." But as we see with the 16th amendment, the slogan they eagerly supported didn't help them, but became theirs and now our yoke.

1 comments:

Kalli Ko said...

I just learned more in that 4 minutes 23 seconds of movie watching then I did in 12 years of school and 4 years of college.

I think you've found your calling.