Photobucket

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

To swaddle or not to swaddle

Prior to motherhood one might look at this picture of Cru and think this was some form of child abuse, Cru at a mental hospital for delusional babies or a photo meant to be slipped inside a randsom note to prove hostage possession. Oh contraire mon fraire, it is the greatest weapon against the shrill cry of a baby and the key to sanity. Cru actually screams and then positions himself to get swaddled. He loves it! I was speaking to a friend on the benefits of swaddling. I voiced my concern as to what I'm going to do when this calming mechanism begins to fail with their increased size and strength. She informed me that she just started to Double swaddle "when one swaddle just wasn't enough." Double swaddle!! I thought to myself, thats so crazy it just might work. Why didn't I think of that. So I can relax for now as the double swaddle should get me through the next year. After that I think I will just upgrade to a straight jacket.   

Sometimes late I night...when I'm on no sleep and up with Cru.. I look at him in his little blanket cocoon and wonder.... if I keep him swaddled for 2 weeks....will he turn into a butterfly? Lack of sleep has brought much entertainment to my morning conversations with Joby. 

4 comments:

Holly & Matt said...

He's so cute I could die. And your delirious late night thoughts just made me laugh out loud..

Unknown said...

You have the most adorable boy baby I have EVER seen. seriously. Im not just saying that. Swaddling never worked for Brigitte (it just made her filled with RAGE and all scratching and clawing her way out...) But im thinking you have a good thing going here!

rmanni23 said...

Julie, I love your blog. You are a nut. Not that that is any great insight, or revelation, I mean we have all known that for years, but I just love laughing at you. Rather, I should say, laughing with you! Continue entertaining us all, and someday we will nominate you for you-tube blogger of the year, or something like that.
Love ya,
Your favorite auntie rita

Kalli Ko said...

swaddling saved our lives those first few months. target makes the best swaddle blankets, dwell studio. seriously. when he grew out of it it wasn't too rough of a transition it just kind of naturally happened. which was nice.